The Geodome is in full production! We are harvesting Shiitake and Oyster mushrooms at the end of November that are fine quality. In contrast, the outside harvest is skimpy because of cold nights and dry winds.
We are using fruiting blankets and shade cloths to cover the logs in the dome to maintain the darker environment...
Rex has been soaking three logs for 24 hours each for a few days now. The first signs of production are happening. And it looks like the tomatoes are about to blossom. It's so nice to be picking lettuce from the dome---our food producer!!!!
All the plants in the beds are growing quickly! Today we added some hanging baskets. They included mint, thyme, and oregano transplanted from the outdoor garden.
And, today the first Shiitake mushroom logs went in the soak in the dome. We like to soak logs about 24 hours to rehydrate and force production.
In the tobacco field, we always called it "party time" at about 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. when we might get an icey Coke and nabs!! Well, we called it "party time" this evening to enjoy the geodome. Should we reconsider and make it our spa????
Much more work to come next week, but for now, enjoy the morment!!!
Work continues inside the dome. We are constructing growing bed along the inside perimeter on the left side. Then the water tank will be in the center on the north wall. We will use the tank to soak mushroom logs during the winter months to force production.
The main function of the undersoil system is to keep in check the cold ground temperature on the outside of the Growing Dome that may be trying to penetrate inside. The first step is to dig a ditch all along the inside wall.
Today we installed the metal lining around inside of foundation. This covers the insulation.
Also, we installed a metal drip edge that attaches to glaze panels just on top of the foundation. This will allow condensation to run into the beds that will be built next!!
We are so excited to report that the outside work is DONE! That's in spite of a nasty cut Rex got today while working on top with the metal glazing strips. Just a little more blood, sweat and tears in this project!
Today started at first light . . trying to beat the sun and heat. We finished taping seams, and did all the metal...
Today was odds and ends: Cutting and placing final glazing piece over the doorway; cutting and installing final foundation pieces at doorway; and beginning installation of the hub covers.
Rex cut and installed final glazing piece over the doorway
We are nearly finished with taping the seams of Geodome. It's rather scary up top ... Rex is on his knees working and I'm on my knees praying for his safety...and prayers of thanksgiving we are both on the ground now!!
This super strong sealing tape needs to be tough. Rex saw the first stinkbug of the season up top this...
It's another morning at first light for Rex and Brenda to tape a few more seams. It's like being acrobats to get to some of these places. Gina arrived to work just in time to help hold a slipping ladder Rex was standing on! We were also thankful Walter arrived just in time to get a couple of pics for the big stretch!!
Rex and Walter worked today on the snow-shed doorway . . .preparing for the glazing panels. This type doorway is desirable so that snow can easily slide off the entryway and not weigh down this area. Rex is pretty excited with the progress---can you tell???
Today Rex and I (Brenda) attached the solar powered vent openers. You might note that yesterday's pics had the bar in the wrong position. It should be parallel with the hinge side of the vent panel. Like everything else, we do it wrong the first time!!
It was such a hot day, we weren't too sure how this was working....
One top vent and two sides vents on the geodome . . .all require gasket trimming and security cords. Next comes the openers! Today Walter helped work on the geodome; and we were happy to have Emily on site to inspect! It was her first visit since the day she helped unload the truck months ago!!!!!
It's time to begin attaching the glaze panels onto the geodome frame. Today we covered the top section. We also stapled reflexive pieces onto the glaze panels that will further insulate the north wall.
Delivery Day of Geodome Kit! Of course the FedEx truck couldn't get down our private road (across the railroad tracks), so the wooden cases of pieces were unpacked and reloaded on several pick-up loads to haul to the construction site. We were happy to have Jim and Emily helping us!
We are so excited!!! We've been awarded an NC AgVentures grant (thru the NC Tobacco Commission) to assist with building a geodome. We will use the geodome to have a warm winter environment for the production of Shiitake mushrooms and other products. Follow us on our adventure!!!